Tuesday 14 May 2013

Surgery Number Two

It has been a while since I have wrote a blog. For a while there I didn't know exactly what else to write during the waiting period between surgeries and now the excuse has been family circumstances. Now, I have a ton to write about :)

The next leg of the clubfeet journey is another surgery. A tenotomy (aka: achilles tendon) lengthening and loosening of some of the ligaments in his feet. Apparently, the poor guy will be under anaesthesia and the surgery is going to be around 3 hours long. To date, Braeden has been wearing braces at night (which he just grew out of) and we have tried to make a habit of stretching his feet 2-3 times daily to help keep his feet from regressing before surgery.

I have mixed emotions about Braeden's surgery. I am excited that his feet are going to be fixed, but it is mixed in with fear. With my mom passing away from cancer recently and seeing her in the hospital before and after she passed away, somehow I think my brain has equated hospital experiences with grief. I am also a little apprehensive that the surgery might not work and that getting his feet fixed might be more than meets the eye. Now, I know that some of my fear stems from these events being so close and really its about convincing myself that the two events are absolutely different. But you know how it is, you are your own worst convincer! However, I do have faith in our orthopaedic team because they have been so great at taking care of our situation thus far and have been good at communicating the reality of our situation even though it has been difficult for us to hear at times.

Until after surgery . . .








1 comment:

  1. Oh Shelley - feels like far too much for anyone to bear. It is okay that you feel overwhelmed, it's overwhelming. Hospitals can be the best place and the worst place all at the same time. Know that we are praying for you all and that those sweet tiny feet will soon carry him into your arms. Sweet, sweet boy. Please let us know any ways in which we can help.

    ReplyDelete