Wednesday 28 November 2012

Assiduous.

It is Tuesday and I'm antsy. One of the reasons for being antsy is I am anticipating the mad rush of traveling somewhere for Braeden's appointment. Before I was pregnant with Braeden, I was a travel studies coordinator at a university where a team of us worked hard to plan 2 month travel terms to Europe and Asia for packs of 20-30 students. The last two weeks of preparation before boarding the plane was an intense whirlwind where I felt I could not relax until take off. These intense feelings seem to have crossed over with leaving for Braeden's appointments. Ever since Braeden has been 3 weeks old, we have driven to appointments in other cities almost every week. However, this week there is nothing, absolutely nothing. I'm not driving in a car for longer than an hour, I'm not frantically rushing around the house washing the dishes, doing the laundry, packing, cleaning, etc., doing whatever I need to do to prepare us for leaving.

I am staying put.

But staying put is weird. It is uncomfortable. So much so that I want to keep myself busy.

Staying put has showed me that this club feet thing is all consuming. Most of my waking hours are dedicated to Braeden's feet. Currently, we are trying to stretch them at least 3-4 times a day for 30 seconds so that there is less chance of regression. Last week was about trying to put the splints on and making sure that they do not pinch his legs. This week is calling the doctor because the braces are too small for him and discussing the next plan to implement. If someone asked me what advice I would give to the busy parent(s) of a club foot baby it would be 4 things: laugh, reflect, give space to think about other things and staying positive. Laughing because it releases so many positive endorphins and because laughing is just great for the soul. Reflecting because it helps you heal and it allows you to clear your head. Giving space to think about other things helps one feel like you are not always engrossed with the subject club feet. Lastly, staying positive because sometimes that silver lining in the cloud is the only thing that keeps you afloat that week.

No comments:

Post a Comment