Wednesday 14 November 2012

Parental Clubfeet Guilt Club

Someone told me once that "you are your own worst critic." I believed it when I heard the saying and I believe it even more now that I am a mother. At our second ultrasound, the technician told us that Braeden was going to have clubbed feet. After I heard that diagnosis, it took me a millisecond to realize that I had started to blame myself for his deformed feet and quickly stuffed those feelings away because for one, I didn't want to deal with them and two why should I feel guilty for something that is fixable. But from time to time, I would say and think things like: "I never took my vitamins that is why he has clubfeet", "I sat too long and squished his feet", "I should have known and did something about it", "I should-a", "I would-a", "I could-a." The guilt was starting to become overwhelming until one day I stepped into the doctor's office and she asked me if everything was okay and I just burst into tears.

Before we met with my GP that day, we had an appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon and I thought I was handling everything perfectly. I read the 8x12 booklet her secretary gave me on the Ponsetti method, I'd done my research, asked the questions that most parents would ask and I was ready to take on this challenge. However, I refused to recognize that there are strong emotions attached to hearing that your baby will not be perfect.

In hindsight and reading other parents' experiences with club feet, guilt is part of the club feet process and not allowing yourself to work through and feel these emotions stunts the acceptance of the process. As a parent (or a society influenced ideal), you envision and even expect that your own will be perfect and nothing will go wrong.  For me, having to grieve the loss of the "perfect and normal baby" was difficult and also difficult for others to understand because after all, it was only clubfeet.

After calming down from my surprising emotional outburst at the doctor's office, the doctor recommended that I talk about how I was doing with those that were closest to me no matter how stupid or insignificant my feelings may feel. She also said that not talking about my guilt could lead to depression and scared me enough to let down my walls and talk. As I started reflecting and talking about the guilt with friends and family it was shocking how much talking helped. Thoughts like these can be easily be seen as ridiculous and/or crazy, but you really can't help thinking them. Saying these out loud and vetting them through those around you helps you see the truth (or the non-truth in this case). Plus surrounding yourself with a strong and loving community is like gifting yourself with talk therapy!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Shelley, thank you for your words and transparency.

    It did not happen for me at birth, but much later when Jake was diagnosed Type 1, the current thinking on how diabetes is passed comes from the mother - and I had/have that range of emotions I go through, definitely at diagnosis and even now when he struggles. The grief of their pain and struggle being, not only something we can't fix or protect them from, but something that was formed within or because of us (not that it really, truly was) is something that just seems to big to carry sometimes.

    So proud of you for putting it down here and helping others who are going through a similar journey not to feel alone in their emotions and grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Shelley Kadatz and think you are amazing!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written! I am loving your blog and I LOVE you...and I'm thinking your baby couldn't get any more perfect. You made a pretty awesome little boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Shells. Sending you hugs. Great post. I can see this will help many moms and moms-to-be out there.

    ReplyDelete